Beyond the Darkness – Naraku Reborn! is the one hundred twenty-third episode of the InuYasha anime.
- After Inuyasha kills Bankotsu, the inside of Mount Hakurei begins to react strangely, almost as if it is the inside the body of a demon.
- Naraku finally makes his reappearance, with a new body and powers.
- Naraku takes last two Jewel Shards from Bankotsu's corpse. He also takes Kagome's Jewel Shards from Banryu's remains, and the five Jewel Shards Inuyasha took from Bankotsu.
Inuyasha wakes up trapped inside a pillar of flesh, reuniting with Kagome, Shippo, Kirara, Miroku, and Sango. Naraku shows his face, saying that Mt. Hakurei has become part of his new body. He reveals Bankotsu's corpse, trapped in one of his tentacles, and takes his last two Jewel Shards. Inuyasha is enraged, saying that though Bankotsu was a villain (and Inuyasha had intended to kill him himself), he wasn't nearly as evil as Naraku. Naraku takes Kagome's Jewel Shards from the remains of Banryu, and the other five Jewel Shards from Inuyasha, combining them into one and creating a new body for himself, which includes vertical eyes on his chest and hands, and three tails.
Inuyasha uses Wind Scar on Naraku, but his demonic aura within the mountain of flesh causes it to ricochet endlessly. It is clear Naraku is more powerful than before. Noticing two Jewel Shards inside Naraku's barrier that she's sure belong to Kōga, Kagome shoots Naraku's barrier with a Sacred Arrow, dispersing his demonic aura and releasing Kōga from inside him, sending Kōga falling. Mt. Hakurei begins to collapse, and Naraku says he is going after Kikyo.
Characters in Order of Appearance
- After 42 episodes, Naraku makes his first reappearance.
- When Naraku reunites the jewel shards, several more are pulled from elsewhere to join them. Unlike the manga, which suggested Naraku split the jewel into seven shards, thus explaining why the Band of Seven were stronger.
- This would be the only time Naraku traps an energy attack in the flow of his demonic energy; other times he simply repels the attacks back at the senders.
- This episode concludes the Band of Seven arc.
- This is the first time in a long time that Inuyahsa had used tessaiga's Scabbard to call Tessaiga. The last time it happened was episode 57 - Fateful Night in Togenkyo, Part 1.