Mountain of Demons: Survival of the Duo is the one hundred thirty-eighth episode of the InuYasha anime.
- As Inuyasha and the others search for Kagome and Akitoki Hōjō, they are confronted by a group of demon ninjas, lead by the formidable Hoshiyomi, who wants to take the Ken blade from Akitoki to complete the Naginata of Kenkon.
- Hoshiyomi asks why Inuyasha is interfering, as the Naginata of Kenkon is of no interest to him, which Inuyasha replies that allowing Hoshiyomi wield such a weapon is not an option.
- Kagome and Akitoki are alone in a forest, and are attacked by Hoshiyomi's demon ninjas; Kagome is kidnapped and brought back to Hoshiyomi.
When Inuyasha tries to follow after Akitoki and Kagome, he is confronted by the demon Hoshiyomi. As Kagome and Akitoki are swept along the river, coming closer to the waterfall, Inuyasha, Sango and Miroku change their plans. Inuyasha stays behind to fight Hoshiyomi while Miroku, Sango, Kirara, Shippō and Myōga follow after their lost friends and the demon ninjas pursuing them.
While Inuyasha and Hoshiyomi battle, the others follow the river to the waterfall, trying to track down Kagome and Akitoki. The demon ninjas find a photograph of Kagome and some of her friends while tracking the Ken blade. Akitoki carries an injured Kagome through the forest, until they make camp and share a meal of Kagome's "home-cooked" instant noodles.
The demon ninjas trick Kagome and Akitoki by creating puppets that resemble Kagome's friends from the photograph. After identifying the "women" as puppets, Kagome destroys them, but is promptly kidnapped by the demons. As the battle rages on between Hoshiyomi and Inuyasha, Hoshiyomi reveals that his Kon blade absorbs all the energy of Inuyasha's attacks.
As Inuyasha races after Hoshiyomi, he runs (literally) into Akitoki, who is racing after Kagome and her captors. As Inuyasha demands to know what has happened to Kagome, from overhead Hoshiyomi holds an unconscious Kagome and asks Inuyasha if the Ken blade is worth her life.
Characters in Order of Appearance
- Opening Theme — One Day, One Dream — Best of Inuyasha II
- Recap of episode 137 — Launching the Sacred Arrows (Inuke Hamaya) — TV OST Vol. 3
- Inuyasha sees Hoshiyomi — Ryūkotsusei Resurrected (Yomigaeru Ryūkotsusei) — TV OST Vol. 2
- Hoshiyomi mentions Kaijinbō — Evil Hearted Renkotsu (Jashin Renkotsu) — TV OST Vol. 3
- Miroku and Sango see a piece of Kagome’s clothing, Sango goes into the water — The Hidden Well to the Sengoku Era (Kakushi Ido kara Sengoku Jidai e) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Akitoki suffers bad luck after saying Kagome is heavy — Swordsmith, Tōtōsai (Katanakaji Tōtōsai) — TV OST Vol. 2
- Akitoki and Kagome talk about relationships — To Love’s End II (Omoi no Hate ni II) — TV OST Vol. 3
- Inuyasha cannot move, Hoshiyomi says the weapon means nothing to Inuyasha — The Disaster at Mount Hakurei (Hakureizan no Ihen) — TV OST Vol. 3
- Villagers that look like Kagome’s modern friends offer to take her to their village — Sign of Unrest (Fuon na Kehai) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Kagome uses arrows to defeat ninja puppets — Attack (Shūgeki) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Inuyasha’s power is absorbed by Hoshiyomi’s blade — Fight to the Death (Shitō) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Hoshiyomi has Kagome — Ryūkotsusei Resurrected (Yomigaeru Ryūkotsusei) — TV OST Vol. 2
- Ending Theme — Come — Best of Inuyasha II
- Having not seen a photograph before, Hoshiyomi's ninja servants believe it to be a "strange painting".