Hōsenki and the Last Shard is the one hundred forty-fourth episode of the InuYasha anime.
- Inuyasha asks Myōga and Tōtōsai how he can return to the netherworld, since the Black Pearl can't be used again, and they tell him to find Hōsenki, the demon who created the Black Pearl, to help them create a path.
- When Inuyasha and his friends track down Hōsenki, they are met by his son and are told not only that has Hōsenki passed away, but it will take a hundred years for a new Black Pearl to be made.
- At Hakudōshi's request, Kagura informs Inuyasha and his friends of a way to enter the netherworld, in the Realm of Fire.
Learning the Black Pearl will no longer be able to transport him to his father's grave, Inuyasha asks Myōga and Tōtōsai how to get to the demon graveyard at the border to the netherworld. Myōga tells Inuyasha that he must first seek out Hōsenki - the creator of the Black Pearl.
Inuyasha scales a cliff with his companions following behind, only to be confronted by Hakudōshi's blade as he crests the cliff. Hakudōshi taunts Inuyasha before mounting Entei and departing once again.
Inuyasha and his companions arrive at a lake where Myōga calls for Hōsenki. A huge shell appears before them, and Hōsenki's son greets them. He tells them that Hōsenki died recently of old age, and used all the jewels that could have taken them to the border.
Hakudōshi sends Kagura on an errand.
As Inuyasha asks Myōga if there is any other way to enter the netherworld, Kagura appears. She informs Inuyasha that Hakudōshi is headed toward the Mountain in the Realm of Fire where a gateway leads to the border between worlds. She also says that Hakudōshi sent her to tell him where he is headed.
Characters in Order of Appearance
- Opening Theme — One Day, One Dream — Best of Inuyasha II
- Inuyasha and Kagome know where the border of the afterlife is — In a Trip of Destiny (Shukumei no Tabi e) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Inuyasha dreams about his father’s tomb — At the Meeting Place (Deatta Basho de) — TV OST Vol. 2
- Kagome talks about the black pearl — Attack (Shūgeki) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Myōga tells Inuyasha about the creator of the black pearl — The Disaster at Mount Hakurei (Hakureizan no Ihen) — TV OST Vol. 3
- Hakudōshi tells Kagura he can read her thoughts — Hakudōshi — TV OST Vol. 3
- Sesshōmaru detects Kohaku’s scent — Tsubaki the Dark Miko (Kuromiko Tsubaki) — TV OST Vol. 2
- Inuyasha uses the Wind Scar to scale the cliff — Inuyasha’s Metamorphosis (Hengeshita Inuyasha) — TV OST Vol. 2
- Hakudōshi is at the top of the cliff — Malice (Urami) — TV OST Vol. 3
- Hakudōshi tells Inuyasha he will not see Hōsenki — Hakudōshi — TV OST Vol. 3
- Clam emerges from water — Sign of Unrest (Fuon na Kehai) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Hōsenki II says he will make the pearl, but it will take 100 years — Searching for the Shikon no Tama (Shikon no Tama o Motomete) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Hakudōshi returns to Kagura and has her go on an errand — Hakudōshi — TV OST Vol. 3
- Kagura tells Inuyasha where an entrance to the border of the afterlife is — The Hidden Well to the Sengoku Era (Kakushi Ido kara Sengoku Jidai e) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Hakudōshi knows he is leading Inuyasha into a trap — Dead Soul (Shinidama) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Ending Theme — Come — Best of Inuyasha II
- In the manga, Hakudōshi never made an appearance to Inuyasha when he sought out Hōsenki for a jewel to reach the Borderland. The part of Inuyasha and the other having to climb a cliff is just added to the episode to fill the time the episode takes up.