Despicable Villain! The Mystery of Onigumo! is the twentieth episode of the InuYasha anime. It first aired in Japan on March 19, 2001.
- Kagome is stuck in the modern era, unable to return to the Feudal Era without a shard of the Shikon no Tama.
- Kaede tells Inuyasha and Miroku about a man named Onigumo, a bandit whom Kikyō had cared for 50 years ago; they visit the cave where Onigumo laid, and feel the overwhelming presence of a demon.
- Naraku unleashes Rōyakan, whom he is controlling with the use of a Shikon no Tama shard, on Inuyasha.
Kaede reveals to Inuyasha and Miroku that in a nearby cave, she and Kikyō once cared for a badly burnt thief, who ended up lusting for Kikyō and allowed his body to be consumed by yōkai from his desire for her and ended up creating Naraku. [...]
Characters in Order of Appearance
- Inuyasha jams a tree down the Bone-Eater's Well, to prevent Kagome from returning.
Differences from the manga
- The anime omits the scene of a fake Kikyō appearing in Onigumo's cave in Naraku's effort to provoke Inuyasha.
- In the anime, Rōyakan escapes Miroku's Kazaana by slamming on the ground. In the manga, however, Miroku closes his Kazaana right before Rōyakan is sucked in in an effort to find out who set Rōyakan up to attack Inuyasha.
- When Naraku gives Rōyakan another Shikon shard in the manga, he finds Rōyakan in a cave and inserts the shard along with a seed that will crush Rōyakan's head. In the anime, however, Naraku finds Rōyakan in a forest, and the Shikon shard has no such seed on it.