Kikyo, Captured by Naraku is the thirty-third episode of the InuYasha anime.
- Kikyō is held by Naraku in his castle; Naraku put up a barrier around the place so Kikyō's Shinidamachū cannot enter, rendering her almost helpless.
- As Inuyasha and the others search for the kidnapped Kikyō, Naraku casts the evil spell of Illusory Death, which feeds on the sadness and fear of those effected by it.
- Kikyō steals Kagome's Shikon no Tama shard and gives it to Naraku; vowing to destroy him once he finds all of the shards of the jewel.
- Kikyō uncovers a secret about Naraku; he is a hanyō.
Outside of Naraku's castle, Soul Collectors are carrying souls to Kikyō but are unable to penetrate through Naraku's barrier. As Kikyō is laying on a futon, Naraku appears next to her and says he has put up a barrier and her soul collectors cannot get through. Kikyō opens her eyes. Naraku walks over to the other side of the futon and says to Kikyō without the souls of the dead she cannot move then sits next to her before wondering what she is thinking. Naraku says in the mountain where the Fuko spell was cast many demons were sealed inside in order to create his new body, lured by the miasma around the mountain Inuyasha stumbled into the scene and began fighting with the demon being forged into Kodoku then Kikyō appeared as her arrows has the power to easily break the seal of the spell. At the time if Kikyō had wanted to protect Inuyasha from being fused with the demon, she should have shot the demon with her arrow. The demon would have disintegrate and the Fuko spell would have been broken. Naraku questions Kikyō if she was trying to see what waited beyond the creation of the Kodoku. Kikyō says and there Naraku was and his disguise was fine then calls him, Onigumo. Naraku says that name is nostalgic from 50 years ago and tells Kikyō she saved a wounded fugitive and sheltered him in a cave as Onigumo offered his body to the demons latching onto his evil soul and thus was born himself, Naraku.
Naraku when he pulls out a shard of the Shikon no Tama, shocking Kikyō. Naraku confirms Kikyō's findings as it's the very thing she gave her life in trying to erase from the world, a fragment of the Sacred Jewel. Kikyō tells Naraku that she has heard he killed her in his desire to possess the Sacred Jewel. Naraku says to Kikyō it's laughable that he's telling it all to her a mere collection of the souls of the dead but the fragments are gathering within his grasp before he stood up and opened one of the castle door to let in a Soul Collector then destroyed it. Naraku places a corrupted shard of the Sacred Jewel on a soul, turning it red. Naraku asks Kikyō does she know the girl that resembles her and a battle between those who possess the power to purify evil then says if she yearns for this world she has to defeat Kagome. Kikyō looks at the corrupted soul that is flying towards her.
Sango feels that Inuyasha is acting strangely since Kikyō has been abducted, which is confirmed by his indolence. When Kagome asks Inuyasha to save Kikyō and destroy Naraku, he wants to do it alone. However, Miroku intervenes and says that he also wants to take revenge on Naraku and the others agree with him. Then they see the Soul Collectors flying in the distance as they realize Kikyō is close by and follow them. On the way, Inuyasha and Miroku are running while Shippō, Sango, and Kagome ride on Kirara. Sango asks Kagome why wasn't she hitching onto Inuyasha's back like usual. Kagome nervously doesn't answer Sango's questions. Kagome thinks to herself that Inuyasha's mind is full of Kikyō right now and wonders why did she always go onto his back when he wasn't even her boyfriend then becomes surprised when she feels so embarrassed. Shippō asks Sango what's the matter with Kagome. Sango says she doesn't know. Inuyasha thinks to himself that Kikyō died because of Naraku and he will not let him have her as he remembers Naraku kidnapping Kikyō.
Inuyasha and the group notice something weird about the Soul Collectors before Sango smashes one of the Soul Collectors, but it does not dissolve as normal, but his remains are those of a Saimyōshō, so it's a trap of Naraku they fell into. They all become separated. Inuyasha sees a light and thinks to himself what's that before jumps then finds himself back in the village 50 years into the past with it on fire and wonders where he is. The villagers yell that Inuyasha's the one who attacked the village. Inuyasha wonders where he is then notices he has the Completed Sacred Jewel in his hand. A voice calls out to Inuyasha. Inuyasha turns towards the voice before he is hit by a sacred arrow, letting the Sacred Jewel go as he falls to the ground. Inuyasha calls out Kikyō as he sees her. Inuyasha says he knows as this is 50 years ago in the village on this day Kikyō killed him as he attacked the village in order to steal the Sacred Jewel. Inuyasha calls out to Kikyō and tells her this is a trap and to wait. Kikyō prepares to shoot Inuyasha with another sacred arrow. Inuyasha calls out for Kikyō to wait and wonders if it's a dream. Miroku notices that the others have disappeared and suddenly feels his Wind Tunnel opening up and wants to suck him in. Shippō realizes that everyone is gone and only sees their clothes lying around. Sango sees a forest colored red and her friends lying dead on the ground. They all died from Kohaku's hand, which then appears behind her and attacks her too.
Naraku, in the form a puppet, sits with Kikyō on a tree in a barrier as her Soul Collectors are unable to pass through. Naraku enjoins their despair from afar, and wonders why Kagome alone is unaffected by the spell of the root-vines. Naraku puts it to the Jewel shards in Kagome's possession, but that was his plan. Naraku tells Kikyō that he has set the stage for her. Kikyō tells Naraku how cunning he was before she suddenly destroys the puppet. Naraku notices that Kikyō has destroyed his puppet and becomes upset that she dares defy him. Naraku's puppet remains disappears. Kagome arrives and calls out to Kikyō. Kikyō picks up her bow and arrow. Kagome happily calls out to Kikyō that she is alright as she runs towards her. Kikyō prepares to shoot an arrow at Kagome. Kagome stops running and becomes confused before Kikyō and tells her that everyone was so worried at her. Kikyō attacks Kagome by shooting a big hole in the ground with an arrow and Kagome, who now has a scratch on her face now, falls into it. Kagome grabs onto a vine as her bow and arrows fall into the hole. Kikyō appears before the large hole. Kagome calls out to Kikyō. Kikyō says to Kagome that Naraku is very afraid of her so he tried to control her with a Sacred Jewel fragment and force her into fighting her. The Soul Collectors appear before Kagome. Kagome wonders if the Soul Collectors are saving her. The Soul Collectors grab Kagome to bring her up from the hole to Kikyō. Kagome tells Kikyō that there's a Sacred Jewel fragment in her chest. Kikyō says to Kagome that she was a priestess who once held the completed Sacred Jewel in check and she hasn't fallen so low as to be controlled by a mere fragment. To prove it, Kikyō purifies the sacred jewel fragment with her hand then takes Kagome's shards, which she wears around her neck. Kagome is released by the Soul Collectors and is pulled down into the abyss by the root-vines.
Inuyasha is almost shot in his illusion when Kikyō sinks to the ground due to her sudden injuries. Inuyasha calls out to Kikyō as he notices she covered in blood and her archery set is on fire. Inuyasha and Kikyō hug each other as he thinks to himself that Kikyō came to him in her pain and has been suffering all alone. Inuyasha tells Kikyō that he will never allow her to be alone again and rest assured as he will always protect her. Inuyasha sees a light appear and questions if there's another he must protect. An image of Kagome appears. Inuyasha calls out Kagome's name. Kikyō looks at Inuyasha. Inuyasha realizes that and wonders what happened to Kagome. Inuyasha asks Kikyō where's Kagome. Kikyō calls out to Inuyasha asks him is Kagome more precious to him than she is as she turns into vines and releases fire. Inuyasha realizes that it was all an illusion before he uses his Tessaiga to free himself from the illusion. Then he hears Miroku scream, who is still trapped in his illusion, and breaks the roots that control his thoughts, so that Miroku can snap out of it and comes to again. Miroku is now supposed to save the others and Inuyasha goes in search of Kagome and finds her.
Inuyasha takes Kagome out of the bottom of the hole and he takes her out of the illusion, but she still seems under a shock. Upon Inuyasha and Kagome going out of the abyss, Kagome becomes shocked. Inuyasha notices Kikyō as he calls out to her and sees that she has Kagome's Sacred Jewel shards then he calls out to Kagome as he sees that she is scared. Inuyasha angrily calls out to Kikyō and asks what did she do to Kagome. Kikyō asks Inuyasha what's the matter and wasn't he going to rejoice that she is well. Inuyasha tells Kikyō to answer him and asks what did she do to Kagome. Kikyō asks Inuyasha if she tells him that she tried to kill Kagome what will he do then and will he kill her. Inuyasha growls angrily at Kikyō. Kikyō asks Inuyasha what captured his heart when he was under Naraku's illusionary spell. In the flashback, Inuyasha tells Kikyō to rest assured and promises he will always protect her. Kikyō laughs at Inuyasha's indecision and says she doubts he can kill her before she leaves on her Soul Collectors with Kagome's shards, saying she will be waiting for the day when she and Inuyasha can embrace death together. Inuyasha asks Kagome what happened with Kikyō. Kagome says Kikyō took her Sacred Jewel shards and she's sorry. Inuyasha tells Kagome he wasn't asking that but did Kikyō really tried to kill her. Kagome angrily tells Inuyasha to not ask her, concerning Inuyasha. Kagome thinks to herself that it's not right as it's like telling on Kikyō. Miroku arrives with the others and asks Inuyasha and Kagome are they finished talking. Kagome thinks to herself that her life is meaningless to Kikyō and that she and her friends had been finally put to the test by the pain and confusion in their hearts and she had a small glimpse into her own heart where she saw her illusion of Inuyasha and Kikyō were together and kissing, in love with each other, which hurt her very much.
At Naraku's castle, Naraku sits in a room until he senses Kikyō coming. Kikyō tells Naraku that he is careless. Naraku calls out to Kikyō. Kikyō tells Naraku with his puppet broken he could see nothing and remember that his petty sorcery doesn't work on her and the barrier around the castle preventing Inuyasha and the others from approaching was very easy for her to break. Kikyō throws Naraku Kagome's Sacred Jewel shards and the one he gave her at his feet and asks him he wanted them and she will leave it in his possession as after all no one needs the power of the Sacred Jewel more than him since he was a hanyō and not a yōkai. Naraku questions about himself being a hanyo. Kikyō tells Naraku that he has disguised himself well but the blood of the thief, Onigumo, that courses through his veins cannot be erased as he desires the Sacred Jewel in order to become a full-fledged demon. Naraku asks Kikyō why hand him these fragments of the Sacred Jewel and was he not the one she seeks to avenge her death 50 years ago. Kikyō says her physical body died on that day but with her new borrowed body, she feels more comfortable and she doesn't expect Naraku to understand. As Kikyō leaves the castle, she tells Naraku she will return to the temple and she will neither run nor hide and if he has business with her, send a messenger. Naraku takes off his kimono as he notices the burn scars has appeared again and thinks to himself no matter how often he changes his body, the burn scars of the thief Onigumo will not disappear from his back. Kikyō thinks to herself that Naraku should go and gather the fragments of the Sacred Jewel and when he has the completed Sacred Jewel then she will send him to Hell and she's free to hate as her soul is much more free than it was back then and free to hate and free to love as she thinks of Inuyasha.
Characters in Order of Appearance
- Opening Theme — CHANGE THE WORLD — TV OST Vol. 1
- Naraku’s barrier prevents soul collectors from entering, he watches Kikyō — Evil Demon, Naraku (Jayō Naraku) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Naraku talks about Kikyō’s arrows — Attack (Shūgeki) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Inuyasha’s group sees Kikyō’s soul collectors — Evil Spirits Desiring the Shikon no Tama (Shikon no Tama o Nerau Chimimōryō) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Inuyasha relives Kikyō’s attack — Dilemma (Kyūchi) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Sango sees corpses of her friends, Kohaku attacks — The Hidden Well to the Sengoku Era (Kakushi Ido kara Sengoku Jidai e) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Kikyō fires arrow at Kagome, she steals Kagome’s jewel fragments — Attack (Shūgeki) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Inuyasha hugs Kikyō, sees that he should protect someone else — Dead Soul (Shinidama) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Inuyasha saves Miroku from his nightmare — Kazaana — TV OST Vol. 1
- Kikyō taunts Inuyasha, she leaves with the jewel — Spiritual Power (Reiryoku) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Kagome recalls her vision — Across the Time, Kagome (Toki o Koete Kagome) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Kikyō gives Naraku the jewel shards — Trap (Wana) — TV OST Vol. 2
- Kikyō leaves the castle and talks about freedom — Fukai Mori [Instrumental] — TV OST Vol. 2
- Ending Theme — Fukai Mori — TV OST Vol. 2
Differences from the manga
- In the anime, the conversation between Kikyō and Naraku in Naraku's castle includes talk of the Shikon no Tama. This leads to Naraku giving Kikyō a soul with a corrupted Shikon shard in it, ordering her to kill Kagome. In the manga, there is no shard, Kikyō acts on her own.
- In the manga, Naraku's Saimyōshō lure Inuyasha's group into Naraku's trap. In the anime, Saimyōshō disguised as Kikyō's soul collectors do this.
- In the manga, the fake Kikyō pins Inuyasha to the Goshinboku. In the anime, however, Kikyō's arrow pierces him, but causes him to fall to the ground instead. Also, in the manga, Inuyasha is able to break free from the trap after remembering that Kagome told him he is no longer alone. In the anime, though, he breaks free after remembering that he needs to protect both Kikyō and Kagome.
- The anime adds what Shippō saw in Naraku's trap.
- The trap Sango falls into is much more gruesome in the manga, and has Kohaku thanking his elder sister for "letting him work under Naraku".
- The confrontation between Kikyō and Kagome differs greatly between the two mediums. In the anime, Kikyō destroys Naraku's puppet before Kagome even notices the two. Kikyō then uses her arrow to create the hole that Kagome nearly falls into. In the manga, however, Kagome uses her arrow to destroy part of Naraku's puppet while Kikyō feigns being asleep. Naraku then opens the hole Kagome nearly falls into. This then leads to Kikyō destroying Naraku's puppet in front of Kagome before taking Kagome's Shikon shard.
- In the anime, Kagome actually falls into the hole.
- In the anime, Kikyō is much more hateful when speaking to Inuyasha, even admitting that she tried to kill Kagome. In the manga, Kikyō denies trying to kill her, laying the blame solely on Naraku.
- In the anime, Kagome falls into Naraku's trap, as well. This does not occur in the manga.