The True Owner of the Great Sword! is the thirty-fifth episode of the InuYasha anime.
- Sesshōmaru battles with Inuyasha and, with his newly acquired dragon arm, proceeds to repeatedly attack the Tessaiga, hoping to break it.
- Inuyasha is able to tap into Tessaiga's ultimate power, the Kaze no Kizu, and seemingly destroys Sesshōmaru.
- Sesshōmaru is ultimately protected by Tenseiga.
- Sesshōmaru, having landed in a forest following his battle with Inuyasha, encounters a young girl who attempts to bring him food.
- The girl is killed by a pack of wolf demons, but Sesshōmaru is able to revive her with Tenseiga.
Inuyasha battles Sesshōmaru, who uses a dragon claw against Tessaiga since the claw pushes back the Tessaiga. However, he thinks that Tessaiga is also very ineffective in Inuyasha's hands since the sword will not reveal its power to him. Tōtōsai knows that this power, the Kaze no Kizu, can kill 100 demons in one fell swoop, but Inuyasha must use this ability quickly against Sesshōmaru. During the fight, however, Inuyasha realizes that Sesshōmaru is fighting mainly against Tessaiga, seeing that the dragon's claw makes the Tessaiga vibrate dangerously. Continuous brute force could break it and Sango tries to help him, but Inuyasha rejects her.
Sesshōmaru tries a feint to get Tessaiga, but Inuyasha goes into the line of fire and takes a heavy blow to keep Tessaiga from breaking. However, since the blow was on the head, he can barely see, but his disorientation makes him see two winds that are formed by his and Sesshōmaru's demonic energy, and a crack develops on the friction surface. He realizes that this crack will reveal the Tessaiga's famous ability and simply hits this crack. When Inuyasha slices the fissure, several energy beams emanate from Tessaiga and race toward Sesshōmaru, who is surprised at Inuyasha's capability of seeing the Kaze no Kizu. As the Kaze no Kizu starts tearing at Sesshōmaru's armor, his sword Tenseiga emits a black light that envelops Sesshōmaru, and Sesshōmaru disappears.
As the Kaze no Kizu dissipates, Inuyasha is glad his sword is more helpful than before. Sometime soon after the fight, Miroku says that Sesshōmaru probably did not survive, but Tōtōsai responds that Inuyasha could not make direct hits because of his poor eyesight and assumes that Tenseiga saved Sesshōmaru's life. Tōtōsai asks Inuyasha if he felt like he killed his half-brother, and he admits that it didn't seem right that Sesshōmaru was cut up, but rather "removed." However, they realize that he did not defeat him because Tenseiga saved him. After making repairs,Tōtōsai has given Tessaiga a new edge and leaves again, thinking about the division of the two swords for each brother.
In a forest nearby at sunset, Sesshōmaru lies wounded against a tree in a nearby forest, and a young human girl passes by. He glares at her with red eyes, but the girl is not scared. Sometime soon when the full moon rises, the girl gives him food and starts walking away. However, Sesshōmaru tells her to mind her own business, adding that he does not eat human food.
On the same night, the girl is catching fish in the river when men come up to her and hit her because she is not allowed to retrieve fish from their reserve. The girl limps off without saying a word. The men call her Rin and the men reveal that her entire family was slaughtered by bandits right in front of her while she hid and the shock of the event left her mute. The next morning, she returns to Sesshōmaru with the fish she took from the river. He retains his cool and distant demeanor, emphasizing to her that he does not need anything from her. The girl is disappointed that her gift is not accepted, however, Sesshōmaru asks about the bruises on her face. Rin doesn't speak a word, but she rejoices at this sign of a small bit of interest, smiling brightly.
Later that day, Rin is seen happily skipping in her village. She enters her old hut, but there is an old man who has taken up residence on it. Suddenly, both of them hear screams and the man wants to flee: a pack of demon wolves has arrived looking for him and they begin to slaughter the villagers. However, the wolves catch up with the man escaping in the river and drag him to their leader, who appears in human form. He takes the shard of the Sacred Jewel the man stole from him. Just after the man thanks the leader for sparing his life, the man kills him. The wolf leader tells the wolves they can eat their fill of the residents and then catch up to him after eating.
Rin sees the wolves biting and slaughtering the villagers, so she flees into the nearby forest with Sesshōmaru in thought. She tries to escape, but she trips, and the wolves charge at Rin and kill her. Elsewhere, Jaken worries about Sesshōmaru and rides on A-Un and is still concerned that Sesshōmaru attacked him with Tenseiga as a test. He is angry that Sesshōmaru could have killed him, however, Sesshōmaru arrives and Jaken is submissive as before. Some wind blows by and Sesshōmaru picks up the scent of the girl who wanted to take care of him. The two go in that direction and see her corpse lying dead in the forest. Jaken is disgusted at her and asks Sesshōmaru if her recognizes her, and the latter remembers her smile.
Sesshōmaru unsheathes Tenseiga and is interested when he sees the spirits of the underworld who want to take Rin with them. He decides that he wants to test Tenseiga once more and kills the underworld spirits on her body. He kneels down to see her status and she slowly wakes up, Sesshōmaru surprised that she actually came back to life. Jaken says that it is ungrateful of Sesshōmaru that he resuscitates a person and attacks him himself, but when Rin runs after the dog demon, he does the same. As Sesshōmaru departs without a word, she and Jaken follow him. Sesshōmaru remarks to himself that Tenseiga helped him save a human life instead of killing one.
Meanwhile, Kagome senses a splinter of the Shikon Jewel and her group walks in the direction in which it is. There, they arrive at Rin's village, where all the people have been killed. As they discover the tracks of wolves on the ground, the wolves surround them. Inuyasha easily kills some of them, but the others run away and start howling, calling for their lead wolf. At that moment, Kagome senses that the jewel shards are approaching extremely quickly. A mass speeds at them and slows down, and a wolf comes in human form demands to know why Inuyasha killed his wolves. Kagome sees that the wolf leader has three Sacred Jewel shards: one in his right arm and one each in his two legs.
Characters in Order of Appearance
- Opening Theme — I Am — TV OST Vol. 2
- Sesshōmaru uses dragon claw, Sango knows the dragon claw is powerful — Demon Brother Sesshōmaru (Yōkei Sesshōmaru) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Sesshōmaru beats down the sword — Fight to the Death (Shitō) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Sesshōmaru tries punching sword but punches Inuyasha’s forehead — Big Counterattack (Daihangeki) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Inuyasha can see the Wind Scar — Dilemma (Kyūchi) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Tōtōsai says Sesshōmaru is still alive — In a Trip of Destiny (Shukumei no Tabi e) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Rin finds Sesshōmaru, she offers him food — Demon Brother Sesshōmaru (Yōkei Sesshōmaru) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Sesshōmaru asks Rin where she got her bruises, she smiles and walks back to village — Searching for the Shikon no Tama (Shikon no Tama o Motomete) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Kōga retrieves a Shikon no Tama shard from the man, wolves kill the villagers; Rin runs from wolves — Evil Spirits Desiring the Shikon no Tama (Shikon no Tama o Nerau Chimimōryō) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Jaken wonders if Sesshōmaru tested his sword on him — The Hidden Well to the Sengoku Era (Kakushi Ido kara Sengoku Jidai e) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Sesshōmaru smells Rin’s blood, he resurrects her with Tenseiga — Demon Charm (Yōen) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Inuyasha’s group comes across the slaughtered villagers, the wolves surround them, Kōga arrives and asks why they killed his wolves — Attack (Shūgeki) — TV OST Vol. 1
- Ending Theme — Fukai Mori — TV OST Vol. 2
- This episode (like the manga) marks the first appearance of Kōga, who would serve as a supporting character for the rest of the series.
- In the manga, Tōtōsai stated that Inuyasha held back on his swing when he used the Wind Scar because he couldn't bring himself to kill his own brother no matter how much he hated him, even though Sesshōmaru tried to kill Inuyasha. Inuyasha, embarrassed by this, claimed Sesshōmaru's poison numbed his body, preventing him from swinging with his full power. In the anime, there was no mention of this.
- Also in the manga, Tōtōsai states had Inuyasha tried to kill Sesshōmaru with his full power, Tōtōsai would have broken Tessaiga. This was likely removed due to the later plot revealing Tessaiga is essential to keeping Inuyasha's demon side from taking over.
- In this episode, Rin is mute. After being revived by Tenseiga, in the rest of the series she can talk (much to Jaken's despair).