Genbu seemed to be easily irritated, as he got frustrated with Suzaku on a couple of occasions for playing around and distracting his concentration.
Genbu was bald and had green skin, pupil-less yellow eyes, slits for a nose, and elf-like ears.
Before his transformation, Genbu wore a purple checkered layer under his black shinobi shōzoku, usually without the mask. After his transformation, a giant turtle shell replaced his clothes. He also appeared to be the tallest and of the more muscular of the demon ninjas.
Powers & Abilities
- Enhanced Strength: Genbu was a lot stronger than the other ninjas. He was able to lift and throw several boulders twice his size down a hill in a failed attempt to crush Akitoki Hōjō.
- Enhanced Speed: Genbu moved so quickly that he appeared as a shadow while he ran.
- Demon Ninja Doppelgänger Technique: Using their enhanced speed, the ninjas could create shadow-like doppelgängers of themselves. They used it once on Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha.
- Demon Ninja Darkness Puppets Creation: Genbu created illusions of Kagome's friends in order to trick them into handing over the Ken blade. Genbu himself created the illusions, while Suzaku, Byakko, and Seiryū indirectly controlled the puppets' dialogue.
- Transformation (変化, へんげ, "Henge"): During his fight with Inuyasha, Genbu grew a giant tortoise shell around his body, and was able to withdraw in it at will.
- Demon Ninja Spinning Demon Shell: Genbu was able to spin rapidly to crush his opponents while inside his tortoise shell form. He did this while fighting Inuyasha.
- Crushing: Genbu used his massive body structure to try and crush Inuyasha against a cliff wall.
- Shuriken: Genbu used a shuriken once to prevent Inuyasha from escaping.
- "Was that a mosquito bite?"
- "I'll crush you to pieces!"
- "Stop acting like that, Suzaku. You're giving me the creeps."
- "Demon ninja darkness puppets: the puppets won't be affected by the aura, and they'll be able to steal the blade."
- "I said stop it! How am I supposed to concentrate?!"
- Hoshiyomi's four Ninja underlings are representations of the four Mythical Creatures of Chinese Culture: Dragon, Tiger, Phoenix, and Turtle. The four war gods Shitōshin of the Hōraijima also share this likeness in their appearance. Also, the same four names are used for The Saint Beasts, who were villains in the first season of the anime Yu Yu Hakusho.
- His Spinning Demon Shell attack may be based on the cinematic character Gamera from the Japanese kaiju films.
- His seiyū, Kazunari Tanaka, also voiced several characters from Rumiko Takahashi's anthology series Rumic Theater.
- Gamera. The Inuyasha Companion. Harley and Dylan Acres.