Grandpa Higurashi (じいちゃん, "Grandpa") is the paternal grandfather of Kagome and Sōta Higurashi; as well as the father of the late Mr. Higurashi and father-in-law of Mama Higurashi, and the great-grandfather of Mei Higurashi and Moroha. Grandpa often covered for Kagome's prolonged absences at school with interesting (and often absurd) excuses, which make Kagome's friends worry a lot about her.
During the story
Grandpa continually tries to inject some education of the history of the family shrine into everyday life – even to the point of discussing the "history of pickles," much to Kagome's dismay.
Grandpa maintains the shrine grounds, buildings, the sacred tree, handles offerings, and the various Shinto religious ceremonies that are required. He tries to bring in some income to pay the bills by selling various religious paraphernalia, such as the Sacred Jewel key chains (日暮神社 四魂の玉 キ一ホルダ一).
He is skilled in handling objects brought to him that need to be blessed, cleansed, or sealed. His abilities save him from death. But Grandpa's powers are clearly overcome by Inuyasha as he breaks through Grandpa's Ofuda – or "written oracles." Although this could be because Inuyasha is only hanyō, it could also be because his charms don't work at all.
Grandpa is identified by his clothing as a traditional Japanese Shinto Priest, apparently the current custodian/guardian/caretaker/owner of the Higurashi Shrine which has been in the family for generations.
Grandpa's relationship with his son is unknown. However, it is clear that he and Grandma were worried about their son's future and still mourns his son's death after being killed in a car accident, having his son as an only child.
His relationship with Grandma and mother of his son is unknown, it is clear he missed his wife. Grandma, along with her son, was also killed in a car accident.
Although she is the wife of his deceased son, Mrs. Higurashi treats Grandpa like a father, even though he's her father-in-law.
As Kagome was his first grandchild, he cares for her a lot and tries to teach her about traditional stuffs. He also lied to Kagome's classmates about her illness, which makes Kagome upset and embarrassed.
Sōta was Grandpa's second grandchild who was born after the death of his son and wife. He wanted Sōta to become a Shinto priest. Grandpa seems to almost be a father-figure to Sōta since his father passed away; the two often spend time together.
Grandpa doesn't like Inuyasha very much, thinking he is reckless and annoying. He once hired Inuyasha to worked part-time at the Higurashi shrine, then fired him when he knocked over some shelves. Though this was due to a "Sit" command from Kagome.
Grandpa suspected Moroha was his great-granddaughter due to her having the same eyes as Kagome. During her time in the Modern Era, he taught her taijutsu and was proud of her for excelling in it.
Manga vs. Anime
- In episode 11 of anime, Grandpa battles with the Noh Mask in the fire on the shrine, which caused him to get hospitalized while in manga, he got food poisoning.
- He has a rather bad habit of giving so-called genuine demon artifacts to Kagome or Sōta as gifts, which annoys both of them; he also sometimes feeds them to Buyo. This apparently is something he never learns from, even after scolding from Kagome. Though he seems to not realize Kagome has dealt with genuine demons and knows they are fake.
- However, Moroha seems to appreciate this far more than they do, seemingly being pleased with receiving the mummified Kappa foot for good luck, which Kagome rejected. It is possible that having been raised in the Sengoku jidai that she might believe in their supernatural properties, although this is unconfirmed.
- Ginzō Matsuo, who voiced both Grandpa and Buyo, passed away due acute subarachnoid hemorrhage, leading Katsumi Suzuki to take over his voice acting roles.; who's also known for voicing as Diddy Kong.
- Grandpa Higurashi's inability to use spiritual powers, along-side his deep-rooted belief that he possesses spiritual powers (and on an upper-level of spiritual powers, too), goes-hand-in-hand with Madame Exorcist; a professional exorcist, who steadfastly believes that she is a person of great spiritual prowess, despite of all of the evidence that she lacks any spiritual powers beyond what all normal humans have.
- Episode 2 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 3 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 4 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 14 (Hanyō no Yashahime) (mentioned)
|Characters||Grandpa • Grandma • Mr. Higurashi • Mama Higurashi • Sōta Higurashi • Kagome Higurashi • Buyo • Inuyasha • Moe Higurashi • Towa Higurashi • Moroha • Mei Higurashi|
|Locations||Higurashi shrine • Sacred Tree • House • Storehouse • Wellhouse|
|Items||Mermaid scale • Mummified kappa hand • Sacred sutras • Shikon Jewel keychains • Sō'unga|