Miroku and Inuyasha were off exterminating a yōkai while Sango was giving birth to her third child. Rin and Kaede were present during the birth. The birth had been successful by the time Miroku returned to his family.
Hisui is supportive and courageous. He is not afraid to go into battle against yōkai, and is always eager to support his comrades whenever possible. He generally exhibits a serious and determined demeanor, and thus far has shown no signs of inheriting any of his father's lecherous habits, unlike previous generations before him. It's not too farfetched to believe Hisui grew up different thanks to his mother's influence; given his great-grandfather and grandfather from his father's side didn't seem married, it's reasonable to believe they were only lecherous without someone to keep them in line.
Hisui initially views his father in a negative light for choosing to undergo 1000 days of training; likely because it means he wouldn't be with them for nearly three years.
As a newborn, Hisui has a small tuft of light brown hair atop his head, and his skin matched the light tone of his parents.
In the pilot episode of Yashahime, he is six months old and wears a bright, dull sky blue kimono with a teal sash around his waist and matching floral patterns. His hair is dark olive green with short thin bangs and the back is tied in a small ponytail. In the first flashback of Episode 15, Hisui is 7 months old. In the second flashback of Episode 15, Hisui is 4 and his kimono has teal diamond patterns.
Years later, he is an 18 years old young man of average height with dark hair pulled back in a ponytail and indigo eyes.
Hisui wears the traditional armor of a yōkai taijiya, which consists of a black skin-tight jump suit, green armor plates made of yōkai bones that include a pair of black tekkou arm guards and sune-ate shin guards, and a green tint obi sash around his waist to carry hid wakizashi (medium-length sword).
He also wears prayer beads on his left arm.
Whilst posing as his eldest sister, Kin'u, he wears her nun garments, with his hair loose and full bangs.
Powers & Abilities
- Expert Combatant: As a yōkai taijiya, Hisui has spent years training to combat various types of yōkai.
- Above-Average Strength: Hisui is much stronger than most ordinary humans, as he could singlehandedly use the hefty Hiraikotsu in battle.
- Education: Hisui has a much higher level of education than the average person of Sengoku period, given to him by his father. He is well versed in reading and writing, to the point he could pass as a noble instructor in linguistic arts, which considering the norms of his time period puts him at the peak of society.
- Acting: Whilst posing as his eldest sister, Hisui can adjust his vocal range to make it convincing to outsiders. He is able to maintain character even after the audience leaves.
- Hiraikotsu: Hiraikotsu is a gigantic boomerang that Hisui inherited from Sango. This boomerang is made up of various kinds of yōkai bones. Hiraikotsu requires a lot of strength to throw in order to destroy the target. It is a fierce weapon, possessing a great amount of power when thrown by a sufficiently strong user, to the point of severing most natural defenses of yōkai.
Miroku and Sango are his parents. Hisui was initially doubtful of his father as he saw the 1,000 day training as nothing more than an excuse to run away. Upon seeing his father in action against Tōtetsu, Hisui now sees him in a better light.
Kin'u and Gyokuto are his elder twin sisters. Hisui was born two years after his sisters. They have a teasing relationship with him when Kin'u used him as her body double to educate "Aiya" at her mansion.
Kohaku is his maternal uncle and later his mentor, after becoming a yōkai taijiya. Primarily, Kohaku is Hisui's only uncle since his father was an only child during his youth.
Kirara appears to be his new partner. Like from his mother's side of the family prior, Kirara provides Hisui with advantageous positions from which he can attack with Hiraikotsu.
One of Hisui's demon-hunting teammates. The pair coordinate well—although he is proud of their synergy, she appears indifferent and mission-minded.
A friend of Hisui's whom occasionally aids him and Setsuna in hunting demons. When he was viewing his father as a coward, Towa tries to tell him that fathers are always doing their best to support their families.
In Episode 22, he had a first met with Takechiyo, an ally of Jyūbei's Shikabaneya, while Towa rides on Takechiyo since the seal has been release because of the demonic blood of Setsuna's has been released, and later that night in Episode 23, he took the branch with Azusa no Yumihari and follow him to Towa to Setsuna.
The two meet twice, and the second time, she develops a crush on him after saving her from a giant octopus demon.
Hisui had a first met with Towa and Setsuna's father and his uncle's traveling companions.
- Just like his mother and his uncle, Hisui is named after a precious material used to make jewelry.
- The rosary on his left wrist is a visual callback to how Miroku's nenju sealed off the Kazaana in his right hand, and possibly how Hisui himself was spared from having the curse at all.
- Whether Hisui does this to honor the memory of his grandfather and great-grandfather, or can actually use the beads for a kind of spiritual power attack is unknown.
- A six month old Hisui is shown to be sensitive to the presence of the demon Yotsume, whom Kagome and Sango fail to notice. Whether this ability has followed him into adolescence remains to be seen.
- In the anime only
|Taijiya||Kohaku • Sango • Sango and Kohaku's father • Shako • Hisui • Setsuna • Rokuta • Nanasuke • Towa Higurashi • Kuzu • Yamata • Goro|
|Allies||Kirara • Kikyō|
|Places||Yōkai taijiya village (Miroku and Sango's house) • Midoriko's cave|
|Unique Items||Hiraikotsu • Shikon no Tama|