- 1 History
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers & Abilities
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Manga vs. Anime
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Media appearances
- 9 References
- 10 See Also
Assigned to protect Tessaiga's hiding place in the grave of Inuyasha's father, he runs away when Sesshōmaru comes there in search of the sword. Myōga usually leaves the group regularly to search the land for useful information, and often shows up again at unexpected moments. He also runs away if there is any danger and is always found somewhere where it is safest.
Broken Tessaiga and Ryūkotsusei
Myōga informed Inuyasha he needed to travel to a specific island with bat Daiyōkai. There, they used Hanyō to power their own protection barrier similar to Naraku's. Myōga informed Inuyasha he would find Taigokumaru there, and upon having Tessaiga drink his blood, it would be strong enough to break Naraku's barrier.
Band of Seven
In search of the final Shikon Jewel shard
Yakurōdokusen and Shishinki
In the series finale of The Final Act, Myōga chooses to remain living with Tōtōsai.
Hanyō no Yashahime
When Inuyasha and Kagome went missing, Myōga then goes to their daughter Moroha, to whom he continued acting as a servant, providing her and her cousins Towa and Setsuna with information on current events, foes.
Myōga often flees before or during a battle, which the others recognize as a sign of pending danger; his mere presence in any area is enough to determine its safety. Myōga particularly enjoys drinking yōkai blood, and actually saves Inuyasha's life at one point by drinking a spider yōkai's venom out of his blood. He can save the others in a similar manner, but often gets squished for drinking their blood without permission. He is also good friends with Tōtōsai, and often spends time with him when he is not with Inuyasha's group.
Powers & Abilities
- Blood Consumption: As a flea demon, Myōga drinks the blood of living creatures - human and yōkai. Often, he can break minor spells or influences by doing this, although he is still usually slapped on reflex when he does.
- Size Manipulation: When sucking liquids to a large extent, his size greatly increases to that of a human child, which would recover before long.
- Poison Digestion: Myōga has, when it is needed, sucked poison out of his allies, the poison he has drank appears to have no effect on him other than to make him slightly drunk.
- Potion Brewage: He can ingest poisons, mingle it in his body and then regurgitate it as an anti-toxin.
- Enhanced Jumping: Myōga seems capable of jumping extremely high as shown when was able to he reached Miroku, who was high up in the air on Kirara.
- Enhanced Durability: Myōga's body is quite resilient as he has been slapped and flattened many times without sustaining any actual damage.
- Information Gathering: Due to his small size and connections, Myōga can get information on just about anything he want whether by eavesdropping on people or hearing it from a friend.
Myōga faithfully served the Great Dog Demon for many years, serving as the voice of reason towards reckless actions. Myōga knows of almost all his secrets and the stories of the mighty battles he fought in. It appeared he had no problem with Myōga drinking his blood, which the flea demon said was delicious. Following his death, Myōga was brought to tears.
Myōga has known Inuyasha since the half-demon's birth, always addressing him as "Lord Inuyasha" as a sign of respect. However, Myōga has the habit of trying to suck his blood when they meet, only to be squashed. Just like with the Great Dog Demon, Myōga will often try to reason with Inuyasha, to keep him from performing reckless actions. Inuyasha tolerates Myōga for the advice he can give, but is constantly annoyed by his habit of running away from danger. Myōga is sort of a counterpart to Inuyasha of what Jaken is to Sesshōmaru- a knowledgeable and diminutive (in Myōga's case microscopic) servant who is devoted to his master, but constantly ill-treated. However, in Myōga's case at least some of it is deserved because he is much less loyal than Jaken (as he is a complete coward), although he does not suffer Jaken's constant death-threats from Sesshōmaru. When he and Kagome fought with Kirinmaru, they went missing.
Myōga is an old acquaintance of the swordsmith, often being found hiding out from danger in the volcano the demon calls home. Tōtōsai often makes fun of Myōga for running away, but it seems both have a good bond of friendship between them. After the three year time skip at the end of the series, Tōtōsai continues to allow Myōga to live with him.
Myōga is an old acquaintance of the jewel maker, who makes the Black Pearl.
Myōga is an old friend of his spirit guide of the sheath of Sō'unga.
Myōga has known Moroha since a quater-demon's birth, addressing her as "Lady Moroha".
Manga vs. Anime
- In the anime series, he is engaged to another flea yōkai named Shōga, but continually runs from her to avoid the marriage. It is also stated that he has some perverted tendencies.
- Ironically, Myōga's name means divine protection, but as soon as he senses danger he flees (which has been witnessed throughout the series).
- Although mostly for comical purposes, his body seems to be quite flexible or resilient as he can be slapped and flattened many times without sustaining actual damage.
- Myōga has arthritis.
- Myōga is the only yōkai in the series so far to have regular human-shaped ears while other yōkai have pointy ones.
- Myōga often gives vital information, but flees usually immediately afterwards most likely far away from the battle.
- Having been a faithful companion of Inuyasha and Sesshōmaru's father for many years and already appearing to be rather aged at that time, Myōga is one of the oldest characters in the series.
- According to Rumiko Takahashi, Myōga has the potential ability to increase his size to 2 meters long while sucking in blood.
- Myōga is about 7 millimeters in height, slightly smaller than one of Inuyasha's Beads of Subjugation.
- Despite his servitude, it seems as though Myōga was absent much in Inuyasha's early life; however it could be due to the latter's harsh life and the flea demon never felt safe around him. It is understandable that the two crossed paths before (seeing how Inuyasha recognizes Myōga).
- Myōga is similar in appearance and personality to Happosai from Rumiko Takahashi's previous series Ranma ½. Both of whom were voiced by Paul Dobson. Myōga's seiyū, Kenichi Otaga, also voiced several characters from Takahashi's previous series. They include Ataru's Father from Urusei Yatsura, and Genma Saotome from Ranma ½. Coincidentally, both Kappei Yamaguchi and Richard Ian Cox (Inuyasha's Japanese and English voices) voiced Genma's son, Ranma Saotome. Happosai and Myōga also share their Latin American voice actor, Daniel Abundis.
- Episode 5 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 6 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 9 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 11 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 12 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- In the anime only
|Daiyōkai||Tōga • Sesshōmaru • Sesshōmaru's mother|
|Hanyō||Inuyasha • Towa Higurashi • Setsuna • Moroha (quarter)|
|Allies||Bokusenō • Hōsenki I • Kujaku • Myōga • Saya • Seiten • Tōtōsai|
|Enemies||Hyōga clan • Menōmaru • Naraku • Panther King • Panther tribe • Ryūkotsusei • Shishinki • Shitōshin • Takemaru|
|Locations||Stone tomb • Tōga's tomb|
|Unique Items||Bakusaiga • Black Pearl • Meidō Stone • Robe of the Fire-Rat • Sō'unga • Tenseiga • Tessaiga • Rainbow Pearl • Kikujūmonji • Kurikaramaru • Kanemitsu no Tomoe|