Suzaku is the second character in the series to be homosexual. He acts perverted and effeminate. He also seems to have a crush on Akitoki; instead of fighting him, he was touching and flirting with him. This can also lead others to believe that Suzaku doesn't take much seriously, and irritated Genbu a few times and Byakko once. His advances on Akitoki Hōjō left a negative impression on him. It motivated him to change his wife's name since it was originally the same name as Suzaku's.
When he first appeared, he was wearing a black shinobi shozoku, but hasn't been seen in it since. Otherwise, Suzaku dresses flamboyantly and in a revealing manner. He wears a long, sleeveless vest on top of an orange shirt, and red shorts with black armguards. He has medium-length spiky red hair, held from his face with a golden V-shaped headband. He has elf-like ears, with red pupil-less eyes and wears red lipstick. After his transformation, he looks like a giant red bird.
Powers & Abilities
- Demon Ninja Darkness Puppets: All the ninjas also have the ability to create an illusion of a person and manipulate it. They created illusions of Kagome's friends from the modern era to try to trick Akitoki into handing over the Ken blade and transporting it, as they couldn't do it themselves. Genbu created and controlled the puppets themselves, while Byakko, Seiryū and Suzaku indirectly controlled the puppets' dialogue.
- Demon Ninja Doppelgänger Technique: Using their enhanced speed, the ninjas can create shadow-like doppelgängers of themselves. This was seen when they first appeared and began circling Miroku, Sango, and Inuyasha.
- Enhanced Speed: Suzaku moves so quickly that he appears as a shadow.
- Transformation (変化, へんげ, "Henge"): Suzaku has the ability to transform into a giant red bird.
- Bombs: Suzaku appears to be the firearms user of the ninjas. The first time he used them was to target Akitoki at the tea house. The second time was to separate Akitoki and Kagome from the rest of the group.
- Shuriken: Suzaku had used a shuriken to try to prevent Inuyasha from escaping.
- "Oh goody, that leaves the young samurai for me."
- "That wasn't very nice. What are you trying to do?"
- "You won't get away, my adorable little samurai!"
- "Oh. You are so scary."
- Hoshiyomi's four Ninja underlings are representations of the four Mythical Creatures of Chinese Culture: Dragon, Tiger, Phoenix, and Turtle. The Shitōshin (Four war gods) of Hōraijima also share this likeness in their appearance. Also, the same four names are used for The Saint Beasts, who were villains in the first season of the anime Yu Yu Hakusho.
- His Japanese voice actor previously voiced Ruu from the third movie of Rumiko Takahashi's first major manga series, Urusei Yatsura.