Takechiyo (竹千代, "Bamboo Knowledge") is a supporting character in the anime series Hanyō no Yashahime. He works at Jyūbei's Shikabaneya which trades demons' corpses and secures contracts for bounty hunting.
He is first tasked by Jyūbei to take Moroha to Jakotsumaru's hideout to take him and his father Tōkotsu down. He later brings Moroha, and then also Setsuna, to deal with Kyuki, one of the Four Perils. It has been shown in his dream that Takechiyo is left to Jyubei by Miroku, it's unknown how they know each other. Which Jyubei comment that he has to work to live and cannot be treated like before.
Similar to Shippo, Takechiyo can be bribed with modern treats.
To be added
He is a small Tanuki with brown short hair, wearing a red and black ita-mono chestplate, kusazuri leg plates, fur trim epaulets and shorts, red wrist and ankle bands, and a tortoise shell hat.
Powers & Abilities
He can transform into a giant flying Tanuki and make his tortoise shell grow bigger on which he carries people. In this form he wears no other visible clothing, and markings on his cheeks suggest where his hairstyle would normally be.
- Conch Shell: Takechiyo carries a conch shell through which he is able to communicate remotely with Jyūbei.
Jyūbei and Takechiyo run a yōkai corpse shop together, and are seen to be enterprising and loyal to themselves.
Takechiyo may be regarded as Moroha's handler, providing transportation and general knowledge of prospective targets. The relationship is not amiable—Takechiyo openly withholds information from Moroha, and secretly conspires with Jyūbei to secure a greater share of the bounty.
Towa occasional bribes Takechiyo with candy in order to get him to transport her whenever she is in a hurry.
To be added
- Takechiyo can be considered Hanyō no Yashahime's analogue to Shippo's role in the original series, as a young child-like Yokai.
- Takechiyo being a Tanuki can also be considered an inversion of Shippo's species as a Kitsune, as the two Yokai species are frequently portrayed as rivals in mythology.
- Takechiyo is the second Tanuki Yokai featured in the franchise after Hachiemon, although Takechiyo appears far more human-like than Hachiemon. Takechiyo is left to Jyubei care by Miroku, it's unknown at this point if he's related to Hachiemon.
- Episode 5 (Hanyō no Yashahime) (First appearance)
- Episode 6 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 7 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 8 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 9 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 10 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 11 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 13 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 14 (Hanyō no Yashahime)