Zero is the elder sister of Kirinmaru who informed her brother of the prophecy the Shikon Jewel had predicted, that he would meet his demise at the hands of beings that are neither human nor demon and an impossible entity surpassing time itself.
In the Heian Period, at the palace of Sesshōmaru's mother's where they waited for Tōga and her little brother Kirinmaru as they're going to destroy the Grim Comet. It is unknown that Zero and Kirinmaru have the Shikon no Tama. In 1296 in the Kamakura period, she and Kirinmaru have heard from Kyūki and Konton that they reported that Tōga have been spotted in Kamakura as he has been escaped grave injuries from battling with Shishinki and Ryūkotsusei.
She was given a premonition by the Shikon no Tama that her younger brother would be felled by an existence that is neither human nor demon and an impossible entity surpassing time itself. Due to her romantic feelings for Inu no Taishō, upon learning he died while protecting his human wife Izayoi and his half-demon second child Inuyasha from her old guardsman samurai Takemaru of Setsuna at the her burning mansion, she shed a tear upon the Sacred Jewel, wishing for her emotions and all her demonic powers to be cast away, which brought upon the Rainbow Pearls containing all her emotions and demonic powers. Those pearls were then scattered throughout the lands to ensure that a supreme demonic power would never ever be used fully.
When Sesshōmaru sired half-demon twin daughters and Inuyasha was to have a quarter demon child, she suspected they could be the prophesied ones to defeat Kirinmaru, therefore she ordered two of the three princesses to be destroyed. She is responsible for the separation of the twins Towa and Setsuna ten years ago, having tasked Homura to burn the forest in which they were living to eradicate them.
Riku takes her to the ruin of the mansion where the ashes of Tōga's is.
Zero is a mysterious demon. She is quite calm whenever disaster and death is afoot, similar to Sesshōmaru whom she has a connection with. It seems that Zero is also loyal to her brother and is ready to ruthlessly destroy any threat in his way, even innocent children.
Zero had feelings for Tōga and cried upon learning of his death, weeping unconsolably and wishing the Shikon no Tama take her feelings away. It granted her wish and created the Rainbow Pearls as a result. She appeared to be somewhat amnesiac after this, as she didn’t seem to remember what she had done afterwards, but did not question her confusion further. Due to not being chosen by Tōga, Zero resents those who have inherited his blood, especially those who also are part human. She especially appears to resent the ones he was romantically close to.
At present time, Zero is cryptic, detached and unreadable. She doesn't seem to have much interest in anything, reacting to most things with apathy or even nihilism and at many times acting in a contradicting manner. Although concerned for Kirinmaru's safety as the demon princesses are a threat to him, she also willingly toys with them and even provokes them into exhibiting their true powers for seemingly unknown reasons.
Deep down, Zero has lost faith and desires to be terminated, although her motives to seek death are centered more on causing Rin's death as a result and thus bring immense pain to Sesshōmaru. In fact, the bulk of Zero's actions towards the Demon Princesses seem to be more focused on inflicting as much misery as she can in her wake, although she gloats of this as simply "being herself".
She was extremely furious when she learned Riku was gathering the Rainbow Pearls to return them to her, but was more than willing to use them to destroy the girls for good. Although she found relief and joy when she was temporarily killed by Setsuna, even trading insults with Sesshōmaru's mother, she was enraged when the latter pointed out that Zero was acting on jealousy and thus behaving like a human. Additionally, she acts on her rage once more by looking for the Rainbow Pearls purely to make Tōga’s remaining family suffer. This could point to Zero being a person who mainly acts on her emotions (even though she ironically no longer possesses emotions).
Zero appears as a beautiful, tall and slim woman. She has very pale skin with pointed ears, dark green eyes like Riku's, and a large volume of graphite hair. She has curved violet stripes beneath each eye, a magenta stripe on each eyelid and dark lipstick. Originally, the violet surrounded her eyes. Her hair is bound up in the traditional Oriental style, typically worn by nobles, secured by multiple gold hair sticks. A similarly gold comb holds back her fringe while her hair at the back is folded up and secured with a blue, butterfly wing clip.
Powers & Abilities
- Shapeshifting: Like her brother, it is unknown if Zero possesses a true yōkai form, like Tōga, Sesshōmaru, and his mother has. She is currently of human form.
- Longevity: As a demon, she is capable of living for many centuries and has remained unchanged between the two times the Grim Comet traveled close to Earth - which has 500 years of difference. Surprisingly, despite her demonic power having been removed from her, she was still able to live for many more years after Tōga's death with no change to her physical appearance, suggesting she used some kind of magic to prolong her life, though Sesshōmaru's mother was not surprised when she finally died, suggesting she would have died eventually anyway.
- Kugutsu: When Zero approached Sesshōmaru, he cut her in half, revealing her to be a mere paper demon puppet.
- Possession: Zero used a black swirling smoke to possess a demon puppet and since Sesshōmaru cut down, it came out and hearing her voice warning about the Grim Comet after the lunar eclipse.
- Stolen power: When she encountered Miroku, she was able to easily steal his seal power.
- Levitation: She can hover motionlessly above the ground.
- Azusa no Yumihari: A Webbing based ability that acts as a binding agent to not only restrain movement, but also link the fate between caster and target, including to reflect Moroha's Kōryūha.
- Demonic Power: Upon the creation of the Rainbow Pearls from her tears to grant her wish to the Shikon Jewel, Zero's demonic power, along with her heart and grief, were stored away into the seven pearls. She even renounced her identity as a demon. Although just how powerful of a demon she was has not been stated, she was confident she could kill Towa, Moroha and Setsuna with her demonic powers restored and both Sesshōmaru and Kirinmaru would not allow her to use her demonic powers against them, suggesting she was an extremely powerful demon, especially as she was also a Daiyōkai, though Kirinmaru seemed to still be stronger, as he was able to overpower the Rainbow Pearls and scatter them despite Zero's presence activating and controlling their powers.
- Staff: Zero wields a staff that has a spider emblem on it. It can shoot spider webs and blasts of violet energy from it.
- Dying: After she has been stuck by Setsuna's Blood Blade, and since she did cast a spell and linked to Rin and sealed her into a deep sleep in the Sacred Tree of Ages, it caused to wakes Rin up and chokes up. Until she has been resurrected by Sesshōmaru's Tenseiga as Rin continues to sleep.
Kirinmaru, lord of the eastern mainland is her younger brother. Once awakening him from his centuries slumber, she informs him about Sesshōmaru's decision to take a human as a bride just like Tōga married Izayoi, which naturally surprises and disgusts him. She then reminds her brother about a prophecy predicted by the Shikon Jewel before it was disintegrated that will bring about his inevitable demise at the hands of beings that are neither human nor demon, and an impossible entity that surpasses time itself. She appears very loyal to him, and appeared to have a good relationship in the past when Kirinmaru and Tōga destroyed the Grim Comet, but it is unknown what their true relationship is today or if Tōga had any impact on this.
At present Zero seems to be behind the bulk of Kirinmaru's actions being the central planner behind trying to get the Demon Princesses killed, to which he responds with mild amusement at best. Kirinmaru is unnerved by Zero's malice and cannot stomach his sister's dishonor as she sinks to new lows ever since she made her wish, as she tries to spread misery. She subsequently disowns Kirinmaru after the latter used his power to send the Rainbow Pearls across Japan.
In Episode 22, Tōga was a good friend right after he and Kirinmaru destroyed the Grim Comet, stating Kirinmaru was lucky to have Zero for a sister. In Episode 15, Zero stated that she had strong feelings for Tōga, but the dog daiyōkai humiliated her, leading a massive revenge plot towards the Great Dog Demon's whole family, including Sesshōmaru, his half-demon daughters Towa and Setsuna, Inuyasha, and his quarter-demon daughter Moroha. When the Great Dog-Demon lost his life that he fought Takemaru, Zero grieved deeply as she believed that they were meant to walk the path of eternity together; a destiny that the Shikon Jewel itself had prophesied. This is what caused her to seal away her emotions and demonic powers, although since she seemed to forget her actions after the deed was done, it is unknown if she fully remembers her history with Tōga. Due to her past feelings for him, Zero was naturally jealous of his former mate and possibly even Izayoi, which only further inspire her to take revenge on his family. In fact, her actions today still originate from the heartbreak Tōga caused her, and is forever resentful of him because of this. Sesshōmaru’s mother, after implying a sense of pity for her, comments that Zero is a woman who burns from love, further shedding light on Zero’s character and her feelings for Tōga.
The two knew each other 500 years ago around the time Kirinmaru and Tōga worked together to stop the Grim Comet, with Sesshōmaru’s mother being Tōga’s mate at the time and Zero being Kirinmaru’s sister. Being in love with Tōga, Zero naturally felt envious of Sesshōmaru’s mother for having his affections, and as such the two had a mutual dislike of each other. Both of them seem to be aware of the other's feelings over Tōga's death, Zero noting she could tell Sesshōmaru's mother despite her haughty demeanor did feel some sadness and grief over it and felt bitterness towards Izayoi for both taking his heart and causing his death, which she didn't outright deny in the former regard and coldly stated she had no regard for humans for the latter regard, while Sesshōmaru's mother was also aware that Zero hunted down her granddaughters and sought to cause her son pain by linking her life to Rin so when she dies, so does her daughter-in-law, out of irrational jealousy. Clearly displeased with Zero when she revealed her sadistic glee at the idea of her son's suffering and having previously shown disapproval of Zero's relentless desire to kill her granddaughters, she proved to be able to affect Zero more than she affected her, sarcastically stating Zero was almost human-like for her jealousy and making her angry. At the same time, she seemed to have some pity towards Zero, calling her pitiful for being a "women who burns from love".
Zero has known the leader of the Ka Demon Tribe for centuries. She had asked for her aid in killing Sesshōmaru's newborn twin daughters to prevent the prophecy of Tōga's predicted by the Shikon Jewel from being fulfilled. Her arms were sliced off by Sesshōmaru's energy whip, and lost the gold and silver Rainbow Pearls to him, demanding that he give them back to her, claiming that they were the gems of her tribe.
Fourteen years later, she intended to take vengeance on him for taking the Pearls from her, but had failed when Setsuna had killed her.
It seems that she does not care about him much, thinking that he is an indolent person. She did not seem pleased that her brother had been leaving the situation in his hands, as she may be aware that Riku is after all seven Rainbow Pearls. However, it was revealed she cared for Riku in the past after Kirinmaru discarded him, so Riku appears to be highly devoted and loyal to her. She was angered when she learned he was gathering the Pearls for her, but nonetheless used this to her advantage.
Zero's relationship with her brother's top minions has not yet been explored. She heard the news from Kyūki and Konton that Tōga did battled with Shishinki and Ryūkotsusei. However, she seems to value them more than her brother, being displeased with his apathy towards the deaths of Tōkotsu (including his son Jakotsumaru) and Kyūki and refusal to engage the Half-Demon Princesses after they killed them.
She mentions Tōga's youngest half-demon son upon her brother's awakening, and that he will become father to a quarter-demon daughter soon. She was more than pleased when Kirinmaru said that he would leave to slay Inuyasha, his human wife, and their newborn daughter all in one fell swoop.
She naturally mentioned the reincarnation of the legendary priestess Kikyō because she is a mere human. She then informed her younger brother that Kagome, the girl who had surpassed time itself, would become a mother to a quarter-demon daughter who would ultimately bring about his destruction along with her twin cousins.
One of Kagome and Inuyasha's friends who sealed Setsuna's demonic powers.
She has known Tōga's eldest son for many centuries. Finally aware of his decision to take a mere human woman as a bride, just as his father had, she eventually reappears before him and expressed her interest and disdain in siring half-demon twin daughters of all things. She had been searching for the twins who will bring about her brother's destruction for four years, and succeeds via the dream-gazing spell. She then orders Homura the fire-demon to burn the entire forest and destroy Sesshōmaru's daughters, making sure that he cannot intervene to save his young twin daughters from her or her younger brother's wrath. She later interacted with him again after being slain in battle with his twins, but Sesshōmaru revived her with Tenseiga afterwards. This was purely so as to prevent Sesshōmaru’s human wife Rin from dying, as Zero previously cast a spell that tied her and Rin’s life together, so if Zero would die, Rin would go with her. Zero appeared happy in her final moments, knowing Sesshōmaru would lose somewhat he loved, implying a sense of hatred towards the Daiyōkai (possibly due to his relation to Tōga), but this turned into immense anger towards him after her resurrection. This anger caused her to act by attempting to reclaim her demon power and destroy his twins, but was stopped by Kirinmaru, who scattered the Pearls across Japan once more. Sesshōmaru, realizing the danger Zero is and knowing that Rin would rather die than let any harm befall their daughters, sets off to kill Zero in order to prevent this from happening, even though this meant he would have to let Rin die in the process.
A vassal of Sesshōmaru's that she had a first met on the night of the lunar eclipse.
The two have most likely never met before, although Zero knew of her, no doubt. She speaks of Izayoi in a disdainful manner when speaking with Sesshōmaru’s mother over her, implying and revealing a sense of hatred for Izayoi. Because Izayoi became Tōga’s second wife, it is undoubtedly the sole reason why Zero would hate her so much, since she herself had feelings for Tōga and Izayoi inadvertently caused Tōga’s death, since he died saving her in her burning mansion that he fought Izayoi's old guardsman Takemaru of Setsuna that she didn't know. However, Zero does not give much thought to the human, and instead focuses her energy on ending the rest of Tōga’s bloodline, including Inuyasha (Izayoi's son).
Zero knew that Sesshōmaru is married to Rin and plotted to go after her, being the human mother of Sesshōmaru's twin daughters. To keep Rin from getting involved with Zero's possibly malicious plans, Rin was sealed within the Sacred Tree of Ages. However it is implied that if Zero is killed, Rin will also die with her. To ensure that, a spell was cast by Zero possibly before Rin was sealed. This was revealed to be true, as Zero was happy upon nearing death, since she knew that even though she would perish, Sesshōmaru would still lose someone he loved.
Zero is the one who wishes to end the lives of the three girls, out of fear of the Shikon no Tama's prophecy becoming true. She undoes the seal that restrains Setsuna's demon blood by controlling Towa with the intention of giving Kirinmaru a reason to go at them at full power. She later asks Riku as to awakening Towa's hidden powers. She referred to Towa and Setsuna as Half-Breed Pups.
Kaede is the younger sister of Kikyō, it is unknown that she met her while she's in the deep sleep when Zero is going to captured Rin as she cast a spell on her and sealed her into the Sacred Tree of Ages that laid her into a deep sleep.
- "So it's okay for me to be who I am. I will takes your words to heart. My lord."
- "He could only learn the meaning of compromise. That boy causes us us to no end, but trouble. If he weren't so obstinate, we'd already be ruling the land."
- "The Great Dog Demon is dead? How is that possible? It can't be! But we are demons are we not fated to journey an endless path destined to reverse the edges of eternity itself? Curses! The Shikon Jewel's ominous prophecy has proven itself to be true after all."
- "I don't need demon powers. I don't want this grief. In fact, I don't even want this heart! And I swear I shall never shed these wretched tears again! Shikon Jewel, grant me that retentive sire! These seven Rainbow Pearls contain not only my demonic powers, but the very power of the Shikon Jewel itself. Good riddance, I'm finally free having to call myself a demon."
- "How is your mother faring? I've been told you had twins. Half-demon twins at that. To think you who despises humans would willingly choose face now. Perhaps now before he's awakened you should go and hide your precious daughters."
- "Once the the eclipse ends, the Grim Comet will approach for the first time in five hundred years. That's when you should use your Bakusaiga then. It's your choice whether to heed my warning or not Lord Sesshōmaru, as someone who was humiliated by your father however, I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish to see your entire family to suffer in agony. Well then, best of luck to you."
- "At this rate, Sesshōmaru will experienced the same fate as his father. Are you going to let that happen? Also he has brought about two daughters, half-demon twins. You remember, yes? The Shikon Jewel is gone now, but it still left us a prophecy before its departure. My dear little brother, you life will be taken by something that's neither human or demon, a being which exists on the edge of possibility that is able to transcend the flow of time. Back then you laughed it off, saying that no such thing could exist. But thanks to the Great Dog Demon that which should not exist has become reality. That is the nature of the half-demon, they are an existence that is neither human or demon. Also a quarter demon daughter will soon be born between Inuyasha, and Kagome, the girl who surpassed time appear in this world. If we cannot erase these cursed half-demons, along with the quarter demon, just as the Shikon Jewel prophesied, you will meet your end."
- "Erase those cursed half-demon sisters from the face of this world."
- ―Zero to Homura
- In the second opening BURN, she is seen fighting against Setsuna with her powers.
- As the Shikon Jewel tends to twist the wishes of its user, it's more likely it only sealed Zero's compassion within the Rainbow Pearls, as opposed to all of her emotions; explaining why she is so sadistic, spiteful, cruel and nihilistic (even by a Daiyōkai's standards as Kirinmaru is polite to others he barely acknowledges).
- She knows the contents of a prophecy that foretells the downfall of Kirinmaru, similar to the Fates reveals the future, from the 1997 film Hercules.
- She is just like the character Hades.
- She shares some similarities with Naraku;
- She shares both the same Japanese and English voice actresses with Ling Xiaoyu in the 2011 film Tekken: Blood Vengeance.
- Episode 14 (Hanyō no Yashahime) (first appearance; flashback)
- Episode 15 (Hanyō no Yashahime) (Appears in a flashback)
- Episode 17 (Hanyō no Yashahime) (actual debut)
- Episode 18 (Hanyō no Yashahime) (mentioned)
- Episode 21 (Hanyō no Yashahime) (Appears in a flashback)
- Episode 22 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 23 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
- Episode 24 (Hanyō no Yashahime)
|Daiyōkai||Tōga • Sesshōmaru • Sesshōmaru's mother|
|Hanyō||Inuyasha • Towa Higurashi • Setsuna • Moroha (quarter)|
|Allies||Bokusenō • Hōsenki I • Higurashi family • Jaken • Kaede • Kujaku • Myōga • Rōyakan • Saya • Sea God • Seiten • Tōtōsai • Miroku • Kirinmaru (formerly) • Zero (formerly) • Riku|
|Enemies||Hyōga clan (Hyōga • Menōmaru) • Naraku • Panther tribe (Panther King) • Ryūkotsusei • Shishinki • Shitōshin • Takemaru • Shikyō • Kirinmaru (currently) • Zero (currently)|
|Locations||Stone tomb • Tōga's tomb|
|Unique Items||Bakusaiga • Black Pearl • Meidō Stone • Robe of the Fire-Rat • Sō'unga • Tenseiga • Tessaiga • Rainbow Pearl • Kikujūmonji • Kurikaramaru • Kanemitsu no Tomoe • Yukari no Tachikiri|